Re: A83: Parenthesis

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Parenthesis

if you have a label, like this:

label: .db 42h,47h

then just "label" will mean the memoryposition of the label label:
and "(label)" mean the information stored at label:

so "ld a,(label)"  loads 42h into a  and "ld hl,label" loads the adress of label
into hl.   if you do "ld hl,(label) then you will load the _word_ stored at
label, in this case hl will contain 4742h, because the z80 uses the reverse byte
order on words..

works somewhat the sam with hl reg..   just "hl" is the information in hl, and
"(hl)" is the information stored at the memorypostion, pointet to by hl..

//Olle

Smiths wrote:

> Hello asm friends!
> Something has been bugging me for a while. Why do people sometimes put
> paranthesis around things in programs like (Highscore), but sometimes they
> don't. In James Mathew's tutorials he said in a tutorial that he was going
> to explain it later (I believe), but I couldn't find anything on it.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Nat Sith (can anyone guess my last name???)
> smithrh@esper.com

Follow-Ups: References: