Re: A83: LSB, MSB.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: LSB, MSB.

At 19:44 1998-06-14 +0900, you wrote:

>What are LSB and MSB...I know its Least-significant byte, and its the last
>4 bits of a byte, and MSB is most-...., and its the first 4....but what's
>the use of them? Is it just a term?

MSB is the most significant _bit_ and is the first bit..
and LSB is then the least significant bit..

and it is just a term..

what you talk about is the least and most significant nibble.. (nibble = 4
bits or half-a-byte)

the name comes from the fact that the most significant bit is.. just like
the name says, most significant.. that is, has the highest value, the value
of it is 2^7  and the least significant is..  least significant.. :)  has
the lowest value. (2^0 or 1)

in a word (16 bits) the MSB is bit 15 and the LSB still bit 0..  and in a
dubble word MSB is bit 31 and so on..

and it is easier and nicer and so on to say MSB instead of "bit number 7" :)

is that enough for an explanation?

//Olle