[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A82] Re: TI82 ROM Version 19.006

> Van: Dines Justesen <dines@aub.dk>
>
> > Are there big differences between the Ti82's and the Ti83's filesystem?
If
> > these aren't there, than it's more a way of finding the adress
equivalents
> > on the Ti82, and things will work (hopefully).
>
> The "filesystem" is pretty much the same, and the functions needed are
> known. The problem is the way the assembly language programs are started.
> One the Ti83 the TIOS is starting the asm program, and it performs some
> clean up before it does that (AFAIK). On the TI82 the OS is interruped
while
> executing an ordinary assembly program, which means that the state of the
> TI82 when the shell is started is not as well defined.

Difficult... I know that Ti82 asm programs are started via some BASIC
program, but I suspected that TIOS would be in much the same state when
running such a BASIC-prog...

> > Nice, that is the advantage of Venus, the shell is very small and
> > everything get's a whole lot more transparent, always nice for the
> > people-who-don't-know-what-a-shell-is...
>
> When it was tried on the TI82, most people seemed to prefer using the
shell
> and not start the programs from the menu. On the TI85, people prefered
> Usgard over ZShell even though it was bigger. So it not al size, it is
also
> the features which the shell has. Including common functions in the shell
> does make it bigger, but it makes the programs smaller, so it saves space
> anyway.

Venus can have a graphical shell extension (it has one already). And it has
the libs, off coarse.

> > And the pro for the programmer is the bigger crash-resistance (if
things
> > will work on the Ti82), plus you could use the same header for the Ti82
> and
>
> Why would it be more crash resistant?

I don't know if it is on the Ti82 like on the Ti83; when an error occures
in a ROMcall (like in an FP functions etc.) the TIOS 'drops-back' to the
prompt. At least on the Ti it will crash if the program was an Ion program
(at least I haven't had one occurence where it didn't got into an APD-loop
or something)
because of the 'crappy' program relocation.

If you update the the pointers then it won't crash on 'drop-back'...

> > As I understand the Ti82 shells ASH and CrASH, have some built-in
> > pointers/jumptable which will point the call to the right location for
the
> > different ROM versions. This is indeed not needed on the Ti83, but...
> Venus
> > has external libraries (in a better/other way then SOS), also just
called
> > 'externals'. You could could use these libs to straighten up some
things,
> > but okay, it won't be compatible to (Cr)ASH.
>
> The RAM adresses are different in the different ROM versions, so the
shells
> include a function which will add a constant offset to the address
called.
> This means that most of the ROM calls that are needed in ordinary
programs
> can be used without problems. In the new ROM version, a lot of stuff has
> been moved, so now, one would need the adresses for all ROM versions, for
> all the supported calls (or one would need two versions of the shell and
the
> programs).

So on ROM 19.006 you would need a 'call-translator', instead of a little
routine that will add the offset to your adress? That will be huge...

> > BTW: We don't NEED to break with call compatiblity, it's just an option
> > which uses less memory...
>
> If you want to support the new ROM version, the way ROM calls are made
has
> to be changed, and all programs would have to be changed.

Okay, so programs made for previous Ti82s are not compatible with the
new(est) version, so you really needed to re-assemble the progs, with new
includes (need to be made), to make them work?