Re: A82: Still dead?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Still dead?

In a message dated 01/18/99 9:23:57 PM, thruska@tir.com writes:

>At 09:12 PM 1/17/99 PST, you wrote:
>>  Ok, the list is still dead. Having nothing better to say, here's my
>>attempt at stirring conversion:
>>
>>   ASM programming groups, a flawed concept? I think so. Also they're
>>very trendy. Just today I have received 2 requests from newly formed
>>groups. 2-3 new groups are formed each week: Some BASIC, some ASM.
>>Everyone wants to be cool and be the president of their own group.
>>   The whole idea sucks in my opinion. They don't actually help
>>programming efforts, and all it does is promote elitism and competition.
>
>I agree.  Ever since the alliances were created, these lists have only
>generated about 5-10% of the messages they used to.  No one in the
>alliances is willing to share what is going on with everyone else.  You
>have to be on the "inside" for a while in order to know what is going on.
>Sam, you are probably right about everyone who wants to be president of
>their own group...they are just power-hungry.  Remember the saying though
>that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  The more power
>each person has in these alliances, the more likely they are to cause their
>group to fall.  It is inevitable that these groups will fail and fall apart
>since, eventually, the alliances will no longer give people what they want
>in a game and the members themselves will start fighting for more power.
>
>>I won't go into further detail without pissing off certain groups, but
>>if anyone wants to argue in favor of groups, I'm game :)
>>    Anyone remember KickASM? A failed programming group of the past,
>>what makes the newly-formed current ones any different?
>>  Sam
>
>To keep the alliances happy along with everyone else, put your discussions
>on the ticalc.org mailing lists.  Don't keep us in the dark or we will
>care less when a new game comes out.  Keep us updated on what is going on.
>Give us surveys to fill out and send in.  Include **us** in your discussions.
>Go ahead, work together on a group project, but work with the rest of us
>as well...okay?
>
>Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com

Very good point, but I don't get much success from people on these lists, and
no one is willing to help unless they are "on the inside" of a game.  Someone
could care less about what goes into other projects unless they are affiliated
with it, and people would rather work on their own stuff instead of directing
help towards my own and other peoples'...  When Adamman sent the first mail
asking if this list was still alive, I did bring up a programming topic that I
could use some help on:  Linking Routines, for my Battleship game that will
strive to work across all the calcs.  Given that I plan to port it to the 82
(my "home" calc is the 83) I would like some input on what people would like
in the game.  Since the Ztetris Linking Routines are universally useable
across all the z80 calcs, I thought that I could get some assistence here.  No
success yet.  Although, I haven't taken it upon myself to figure it out, since
I'm not up to that point in the project, but I thought I may as well inquire
how cross-calc linking in games is accomplished...  This seems like a very
vague topic that hasnt been "mastered" yet, and I think the discussion has
died down on here because it's like people know everything already, But how
come there arent that many Linking games out there then...?  We don't get that
many newby questions anymore because people have gone out to buy 86's and
89's, so how about we work on more advanced programming techniques such as
these.  I know that I am still in the dark about it, and there's no where to
go to research and learn this, so if someone knows something I don't, then why
don't you come out and tell me how I figure out Linking Routines.  I'm not
saying that you're holding it back, since I know we're all very busy, but I
could use some help on this please, thanks... =)

--Jason K.

P.S.-Anyone who is reading This now and did not Delete my mail in the middle
of all my rambling and pleaing for help, I thank you...