Re: A82: Porting (85)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Porting (85)

The biggest problem when porting games from the TI85 to the TI82 is the
different screen size. I do not think that there are any solutions which
would workin all cases, you have to look at the game and find out what the
best way is for the perticular game. For some games it might not be a
problem if you just cut of some of the screen (like Columns), which makes
the translation rather easy. Another possible solution is to use 6 bit
wide sprites instead of 8 bit, this will however means that all sprites
have to be rediesigned. Another problem with this is that it will make it
harder to use GRAPH_MEM for graphics (since it will be too small), however
this solution might be the best in some cases.
you turbo the calc. Since the processor is faster, the dleays will be
shorter, and you will get problems with the controller. So if you turbo
your calc you might not be able to use asm programs (because they use fast
graphics). (The person who tried this told me that the asm games does not
work, b[not really a problem]. But the main
>difference, as you probably know, is that the TI-85 has a memory mapped
>display. So it's very fast, contrary to the TI-82, which has a port. We
>have for example Solytare which Michael Pearce, for having a fast enough
>cursor on the screen, had to move it 2 pixels a time. As you have
>noticed, it isn't excellent, although I think this game is excellent in
>general. So in translating 85 to 82 programs, we'd have to increase the
>speed somewhere. Not that easy. Another idea should be to build a turbo,
>but is every owner of a TI-82 able to do that ? Not sure. Has someone
>another solution ?
>
>~Nicolas.

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or