Re: A82: The BIG 5! (Now "Doom/3d")

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: The BIG 5! (Now "Doom/3d")

>>>there's nothing pseudo 3d about doom except that each point can only
>have
>An interesting thing I found is that you can pick the doomsrc (in Linux
>C) up from any idmirror just recently...
>
>>>one floor and one ceiling and the game uses sprites for enemies and
>items..
>>>otherwise all the 3D routines are as real as they're gonna get.
>Quake(II)  is even still psuedo-3D because (well, the maps are pure 3d)
>the sprites and etc are still BMPed out and are bent to the scene through
>polygons..

Pure, pure 3d I guess is bump mapping to you guys, JC is working this into
trinity, along with fractal maps and a whole lot of other shit...

also, which sprites are you talkin' about, the enemies are pologonal, but
have textured skins, and the explosions in Q2, are supposed to be 3d in the
shipping version...

>>as far as i know, DOOM doesn't even use a polygon routine anywhere in
>>it.
>Yep... pure BMPing and wall texture perspectiving (noclipping validates
>this)
>
>>any true 3D game would have to use polygons, IMHO.
>IMHO too

Actually Splines are much more appropriate.... (Of course i no expert, in
fact i probably don't know what i'm talking about)

<snip>

This thred is getting out of hand......

BTW anyone order a z80 book from zilog, it looks like there free and i wuz
wondering which one to get, users manual or the other one, databook i
think....

-- Cory R. Crooks