Re: A82: Re: Game Wizard v2.0 bug discovered!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Re: Game Wizard v2.0 bug discovered!!!

>I have no idea what you are talking about with all this error business.
>Game Wizard v2.0 works just fine except when it comes before another
>program in the ASH menu and the reason why is because of simpel
relocation.

And the reason for this is an error in your program. It is possible to
make Game Wizard work no matter where it is placed in the memory, you have
chosen not to do that and that is why your program chrashes once in a
while. Simpel relocation is a part of Ash 3.0, and if you make a program
for Ash 3,0 you have to take relocation into account.

I have not looked into this, but as far as I can see the problem with Game
Wizard could be solved with app. 10 lines of code. Is this too much to ask
for. All you have to do is insert 10 lines of code and your program
should have no problem running under Ash 3.0.

> This is an ASH bug as I have pointed out previously and NOT my program's
>fault.  I shared the only possible workaround with everyone and that is

It is possible with a few lines of code to make Game Wizard work with Ash 3.0.
The reason your program crashes is because you chose not to include these
lines, and it is therefor NOT a bug in Ash. (How can it be a bug in Ash
that you did not included these lines of code ?)

>reload Game Wizard onto the calc after a new game is loaded on to stop
any
>crash from ever occuring.  The only crashes that occur are those games
that
>people purposely plop their temporary variables in the APD_BUF memory
where
>Game Wizard's TSR resides (I have provided a text file that covers the
>internal secrets of Game Wizard to not only this list but also is on
>TI-CALC.org and also <http://shinelight.home.ml.org/> under the What's
New
>section so no programmer has a single excuse for crashing the calc under
>Game Wizard).

I think it would be a lot easier for every one who uses your program if
you correct your program so it works with Ash. If you did that people
would not have to thik about where it was placed.

>>The problem with Dying Eyes is NOT because of the method, it is a small
>>error in the relocation code. The only problem with that kind of
>>relocation is that programs like Game Wizard gets mharder to make, andthe
>>problem with KEY_HAND.
>
>KEY_HAND has always had a problem because of it's powerdown "feature"
which
>programs don't use anymore because of the constant possibility of a crash
>(even if someone fixed the relocation problems there would always be that
>possibility).

Why will KEY_HAND always mean that the calc might crash ? I can see no
reason for this to happen if you do the relocation in a way which does not
mess up the mem. Advanced relocation should solve this problem.

>>Can you guess why I chose to call it Simpel relocation ??
>
>Yeah, it's lousy coding and poor thinking on your part :)  Don't flame me
>on this, you asked me to guess, so I did (you asked for it).

Simpel relocation has made programs smaller and faster, and it is a bit
simpler to program for Ash since you do not have to add PROGRAM_ADDR to
any pointers. There are two problems with Simpel relocation, the
first is KEY_HAND and the second is the small error in the code which
means that it is not possible to have programs,bigger than 13k. KEY_HAND
is not really nessasary in programs, so it is not that big a problem. All
in all I think that it was a good idea to include Simpel relocation in
Ash, and I do believe that most programmer which prgorams for Ash will
agree (I got a lot of emails telling me that it was a good idea to include
it, the only one who did not like it was you !)

>Well, I have already re-stated (for the 5th time) what block relocation
is
>(maybe the method you have already thought of) in another message that I
am
>sending to the list in response to Barbury's (I think that's his name)
>request.

Since your method does not solve the problem with KEY _HAND, it is
probably not the same method.

I do not think that this discussion is very interesting for most people on
A82, so send any replys directly to
me.

Dines

Dines Justesen