Re: A82: Game Wizard crashes under Same Game...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Game Wizard crashes under Same Game...

> At 08:08 PM 9/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>  >In a message dated 97-09-18 00:59:40 EDT, you write:
>  >
>  >> Game Wizard v2.0 will crash when running Same Game if you do the
> following:
>  >>
>  >>  1) Turn on the calc and run the shell.
>  >>  2) Run Same Game.
>  >>  3) Run Game Wizard v2.0.
>  >>
>  >>  Same Game messes with volatile areas of RAM.  Wait until v1.1 or
greater
>  >>  comes out before attempting to use Game Wizard v2.0 with it.  Doing
the
>  >>  following will decrease the chance of a crash by 80%:
>  >>
>  >>  1) Turn on the calc and run the shell.
>  >>  2) Run Game Wizard v2.0.
>  >>  3) Run Same Game.
>  >>  4) Deactivate Game Wizard immediately and do NOT re-enable it.
>  >>  5) Exit the shell and "power-down"
>  >>  6) It is safe now to turn the calc back on and re-load Game Wizard.
>  >>
>  >>  What happens:
>  >>  When the calc is turned on, the RAM is set to its original conditions.
>  >>  Since, Same Game changes the volatile parts of RAM, this is the safest
>  >>  method of allowing you to use Game Wizard in conjunction with Same
Game.
>  >>  Without resetting the changed RAM, any game can be affected including
> Game
>  >>  Wizard.  Since Game Wizard latches onto an interrupt, it will crash
more
>  >>  often than games because it uses highly volatile areas of RAM that can

> be
>  >>  changed instantly.
>  >>
>  >WHAT?!?!?!
>  >what the heck are you talking about?  The only RAM areas that SameGame
uses
>  >are TEXT_MEM and TEXT_MEM2
>  >please explain this to me
>  >
>  >~Adamman
>
>  Wrong!  Same Game uses areas OUTSIDE the TEXT_MEM and TEXT_MEM2 memory
>  locations.  BOTH TEXT_MEMs are only 80 bytes each.  You leave these
>  limitations by adding a number greater than 79 to any of your variables.
>  When you do that, you hit volatile areas of RAM that causes Game Wizard to
>  crash.  I know the TEXT_MEMs are pretty far off from the APD buffer, but
>  Game Wizard can be messed with indirectly by leaving the boundaries of the
>  buffers.  Also, make sure you correct the ROM_CALL(GET_KEY) (at about line
>  1077 where you enter initials) by v1.1.
>
>  BTW, I already explained this in another e-mail on the same subject.  Do
>  you ever check your e-mail?
>
>  Hope I could be of help.
>
>                   Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
>  Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"
>           http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>                      http://shinelight.home.ml.org

ok I looked at 82-ram.txt and see that there is an 80 next to the 'start of
text memory'!!!
but
$80 = 128d
I don't go over any boundaries, but I forgive you
now here's another thing - trying to pinpoint exactly why SameGame crashes
Game Wizzard!!!

Dines, you should write hex nubers as $xxxx of xxxxh, it gets confusing

~Adamman