Re: A82: Re: Fw: Proposed open operating system/gui/s

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Re: Fw: Proposed open operating system/gui/s

> >* Whenever the shell is executed, it would do a library check, and delete
> >any libraries that were on the calculator but not required by any
programs.
> >(It would confirm that the user wanted to delete those libraries.) This
> >way, the user could delete several programs, and not worry about deleting
> >the libraries. The shell would take care of it.
> That wouldn't be too hard.  The program could have a header that said which
> libraries it needed (just like Windows programs, it is called an import
> table).  The shell would then search the programs import tables and check
> for unused libraries.  I probably wouldn't have this automatic however, as
> it would slow loading of the shell.  Perhaps, there would be an option in
> the shell to check for unused libraries (then the user, after deleting some
> programs, would just use that option afterwards to remove their libraries).

The shell could store some value (like the number of programs, or free
memory) on exit that it would be checked when it loads.  If it changed, it
means that programs were added or deleted, so it would run the library
checker.

Also, instead of using actual names for functions (since strings take up a
lot of space), use numbers.  Numbers could also be used for the library
names: prgm[theta]017GRY1, prgm[theta]002GFX4, etc., where the numbers
following the [theta] would be the libraries look up number, the next 3 chars
would be a cryptic description only for the user, and the last one would be
the version (or just have the version be in the lib's header, if the same
name is used for different versions).

Some web site would keep a master list of libraries, so anytime someone wants
to make a library, they "register" their library to get their number, thus
avoiding libraries with the same number (or name, if numbers are not used).

Any feedback is appreciated.

David Phillips
esdavid@aol.com