Re: A82: Re: not to be mean, but...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Re: not to be mean, but...

First of all the way Ash is started is probably not the only way, there
seems to be many other ways which are similar to it. We thought that the
way Ash is started was the best way to do it and therefore used that (and
did not look into the other ways). I started to look into the other ways
and it looks like there are like 20-30 of them, but they do not seem very
useful. This means that a Shell could be started in other ways, but it
would still require a Basic program to be run (or to store one var to
another). The reason i did not release this info is that it is realy
complicated, seems unuseful and i did not finish it at all. If any one is
interested i will ofcorse be glad to send you all my notes.

When we started making Ash we used a variable like Q to start Ash, but
bacause Basic programs might use it we did not like that. Therefore we
found the method we use know. I find that it is the best one, but Ash
could also use the Q var if we wanted. So unless a lot of people would
really like us to do something like with the Q var we will stick to the
lists.

The keys used in Ash where chosen because we found that they where the
easiest to use, but the disition was probably influenced by the fact the
we both mormally used TI85's. If any of you guys have suggestions for
improvements on this point feel free to write to me.

The interface of the two shells are a bit different, but what you like
best is a matter of taste. We used the small font to make room for more
programs, but somepeople might no like that. Some people have asked for
discriebtions in Ash (like in Zshell), this could be added without
problem, do you want it ? Do you want both name of var and describtion
(not much room), or just one of them.

There is not a key in Ash which turns off the calc, but leaves it in Ash.
This was done because that is the way it is done in all other parts of the
calc. Since this function is only 3 lines of code (maybe 2, i can not
remeber), we could add this if you like to.

When i have mail the developer of Oshell, i have never gotten an answer. I
thought that this was bacause i was a developer of Ash, but now it sounds
like other people have had the same problems. If this is really true, it
is too bad because a lot of new programmers really need help. You are
always welcome to mailme and i will see what i can do, and from now on i
will also be on this list.

There are some people out there who has written programs for Ash/Oshell,
which have not released the source. That is of corse their decision, but
think about it for a while, releasing the source could really help some
people out there who are just starting.

Dines

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or