A82: ASH <-> OShell (Info.)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: ASH <-> OShell (Info.)

Here is the last report on the ASH <-> OShell-82 Development Kit before I
go on a 5-day vacation:

Jul 20, 1997:  I found two bugs in the ADJUST_HL and ADJUST_A_HL routines
in the graph.inc include file.  The updated routines will be released with
v1.0 of the kit.  I also tested my SpriteDraw routine and here are some
amazing results.  Here are the stats for an 8x8 filled (all 1's)
transparent image without clipping for three different sprite routines:
NASRWARP     375 sprites/sec.
PutSprite    674 sprites/sec.
SpriteDraw   767 sprites/sec.
Not bad for 1000+ clock cycles (I couldn't believe it when I first tested
it, so I tested it again).  Both of the other routines have around 150-400
clock cycles.  I have a hunch why my routine is so much faster, it probably
has something to do with pre-calculating several values.  The routine still
needs to be optimized!  I think that I can squeeze about 850 sprites/sec.
out of an 8x8 non-clipped image after I optimize it.  I also got a possibly
faster routine for all of my graphics routines.  If it is faster, that will
mean that the SpriteDraw routine will become even more optimized!

Well, that report should blow your mind to nothing (especially if you are
an ASM programmer).  I can't make any guarantees, but I should have another
report the day I get back.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org