A82: Important MacASM82 Note

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Important MacASM82 Note

I have just tried to assemble a program under the new shell, Crash. However, I
noticed that Crash is very picky about the way that its files are set up. The
following information must be included at the beginning of every program
compiled for Crash (notice that this caution is only for Crash, as far I
know):

 .DB 0xD5
 .DB 0x00
 .DB 0x11
 .DB "Program Name",0

AS for the reason for this, it must be a method used by the authors of Crash
to separate Crash programs from normal programs (this is a guess, don't quote
me). I would suspect that other shells do the same, although with different
header information. Please note that since MacASM82 does not handle the
insertion of these bytes, you will have to do by hand, as done above.

Also, make sure to read the converted document that I gave with package-
you'll find that if you use Crash, as I do, to make your programs, you don't
have to place a .ORG, since it is automatically put at the end of the header
file.

In short, I would guess that my message is that, with MacASM82, assembly has
been opened to Mac users. However, it comes with a small fight, and a little
struggle. Hang in there, and I will try to guide you through assembly using
CAZ and MacASM82

Hope I could help,
Matt Stack