Re: A82: Hmm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Hmm

>I tried out MidPak and DigPak, but they really stink.  Search for a utility
>called Scream Tracker 3.0 on the internet.  Epic MegaGames uses this
>exclusively for their games.  It produces music and sound effects 50 times
>better than anything you can make and play back from MidPak and DigPak.
>There is also a little known FTP site on the internet called x2ftp at
><ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/00Main.html> which I use quite
>often to get things.  This site is a massive hand-picked programming
>archive (no longer updated...bummer).

The sound format that you're referring to is known as "tracker"...  Scream
Tracker SUCKS.  There's a much better one called Impulse Tracker which is
now the standard for tracker formats.  There are surprisingly few libraries
that you can use in a game (impulse/scream tracker can't be used as a
library).  The best one currently is something called mikmod.  Try
http://www.epix.net/~divent to get it.  mikmod can play IT and ST files so
you won't have to use something different to create the songs.

>I use Borland's Turbo C/C++ 3.0 for DOS.  Cheap piece of junk I bought for
>$80.  However, it works for my purposes, so I really don't care, except
>they said it came with TASM but it really didn't.

Turbo C for DOS actually has its uses...  why would you want a DOS extender
for a simple command line utility?  Anyways, the best non-free C compiler
out there is Watcom, and the best free one is DJGPP (http://www.delorie.com).

-- Barubary