A82: Re: Assembly-82 Digest V1 #279

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Re: Assembly-82 Digest V1 #279

> Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 21:58:45 -0500
> From: "Thomas J. Hruska" <thruska@tir.com>
> Subject: Re: A82: Ash and Kurai's problems examined
>
> Yep, according to what I've seen about these relocation problems, you are
> just moving big chunks of memory around.  How about using a relocator that
> moves single bytes around from where the program began to the relocation
> spot and then push everything down, one byte at a time until the program is
> copied.  Sure this would be a slow method, but it would relocate large
> programs without any problems showing up.  For smaller programs, you could
> just use the faster method of relocation.  Most people won't mind since the
> initialization of the program isn't what matters...the actual gameplay
> speed is.  People don't want the shell to interact with the game (i.e.
> PROGRAM_ADDR and slow calls) because that just slows down the game.  So,
> relocation of large and small programs at the fastest possible speed is
> necessary.

About how big are the blocks?  I have experienced many crashes under Ash 3.0 and I think
that it might be because I am low on memory.  What often happens is the VAT gets screwed
up on the assembly programs and it reports large sizes for each one.  When I try to run
Ash it reports a data type error  and it often reports that it is out of memory.  Could
running one program after another in Ash also cause this.  I'm sorry if someone has
already brought this problem up before, but I'm new to this list.