[TI-M] Ball-buster differential equations

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-M] Ball-buster differential equations

Hi:

I am interseted in plotting and analyzing the data from differential
equations typical of electrical circuit analysis with non-linear
elements on the TI-89.

My present equation derives from the simplest case of a half-wave
rectifier driving a filter capacitor in parallel with a load resistor.

The equation is:

t0=0
y1'=-y1/(100*100E-6)+id(-y1+10sin(2 pi 50 t))/100e-6
yi1=0

or with the numerics simplified for easier typing:

y1'=-100y1+id(-y1+10sin(2 pi 50 t))/1e-4

where the function id is defined as:

:id(vd)
:1E-14*(e^(1.609E-19*vd/(1.381E-23*298))-1)

I am using Rk to solve it, with the following parameters:

FLDOFF

t0=0
tmax=.1
tstep=.001
tplot=0
xmin=0
xmax=.1
xscl=0
ymin=-12
ymax=12
yscl=0
ncurves=0
diftol=.001 to .05 and various other tries.

The thing plots the right solution with these settings, but it is
painfully slow.  Euler fails, giving nonsense results.  I expect that a
problem of this sort, while being only a case of the simplest non-linear
electric circuit problem, is really at the very limit of the machines
abilities.

Is there any likelyhood of plotting this problem faster?

Ultimately I could be attempting systems of up to two or three coupled
second order equations, reduced of course to the larger system of first
order equations.  But it seems unlikely that the machine can pull
something like this off.

Comments appreciated.
--
Christopher R. Carlen