Re: TI-M: Calculator Envy

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-M: Calculator Envy

At 04:24  3/10/00 +0200, you wrote:

>The TI-85 does have the feature you describe, but as far as I know, this
>is how it works:
>
>Given a polynomial f(x) and its  coefficients you can write a matrix A
>that has its characteristic polynomial equivalent to f(x).  That is to say
>det(A-xI) = f(x).  Using a numerical method of finding eigenvalues, you
>obtain x_1, ..., x_n where n is the degree of the polynomial.  These
>eigenvalues are the roots to the characteristic polynomial and thus your
>polynomial as well.

sorry to sound daft, but like I said, I'm not very strong with matrices...
I don't have a clue what you've just said. Could I impose greatly, and ask
you maybe do a worked example for me? For example, f(x) = x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x -
6 should give roots 2, -3 and -1

(you're welcome to send an attachment - but, obviously, if you do so, just
make sure you send it to gazzon@theoffspring.net and not the whole list :) )