Re: TI-M: Re: Integral of x^x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-M: Re: Integral of x^x

In a message dated 5/28/00 2:17:03 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
JasonScho@aol.com writes:

> integral of x^n = x^(n+1)/n holds only for constant values of n.  The
>  integral of e^x is e^x, but the same is not true for e^u.
>
>  Tell me, what is the integral of e^(ln x), using your logic?  What about
the

>  integral of x?  And why aren't they the same???

Well, the integral of e^(ln x) would have to be the same as the integral of
x, since they are the same function...  You could limit the domain to x > 0,
but even if you don't, you'd still get real numbers for negative values of x
with e^(ln x).

The function x^x is one of those "non-integratable" functions; ie, there is
no second function that can be used to represent the indefinite integral of
x^x.

JayEll