From: "Scott Noveck" <noveck@pluto.njcc.com>
To: <ti-math@lists.ticalc.org>
Subject: Re: TI-M: TI-89 root question
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:49:37 -0400

 > a^(1/n) =
 > a^(n^(-1)) = a^n^(-1) because ^ is highest prescedence and right
 > associative...(at least in standard arithmetic parsers, but I believe the
 > TI-89 follows this convention too)

Don't use that last form (a^n^-1) on the calcs.  There's a supposedly a bug
in most ROM versions of most z80 calcs where the precedence of powers to
powers is not evaluated correctly, and that may be taken as (a^n)^-1 rather
than a^(n^-1).

I'm not sure exactly which calcs this affects, but I remember HP listing the
HP49G's correct evaluation of this as a "feature" in which they claimed that
the HP48 line and all ti graphing calcs except the 89, 92(+), and I believe
86 (one of the z80 calcs) all suffer from this incorrect evaluation.  I've
got easy access to a friends' 82/83/83+/85/86 calcs in school, so maybe I'll
test it out tomorrow and post the results here.

     -Scott

--Robert Mohr--
rmohr02@hotmail.com
AIM:  rmohr02                 ICQ:  70640281
MSN:  rmohr02                 Y!M:  rmohr02

Member of Smallville Productions
http://smpr.cjb.net/

Reviewer at TICalc.Org
http://www.ticalc.org/

News editor at Dimension-TI
http://www.calc.org/

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds
the universe together."

"I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!!!"