[TI-H] External memory device?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-H] External memory device?

I am considering building a small external memory device, which would hav=
e a=20
serial interface and allow people to transfer things from calculators and=
=20
computers to it and back. It would probably have 1, 2, and 8 mb capabilit=
ies,=20
and right now the cost for the device, including a 2mb card, is looking a=
t=20
$20-$25.

The device would have a simple filesystem which allows programs to be sto=
red=20
by name. To access the device, the calculator would have to have a small=20
program, however I was thinking that the program for a paticular calculat=
or=20
could be loaded onto the device's memory by the computer, and you could p=
ress=20
a button to send that program to the calculator using the native 'Receive=
'=20
feature on the calculator. The program would allow you to transfer variab=
les=20
to/from the device, delete/rename, etc.

Memory cards would cost about $8-$9 for a 2 mb card, and you could change=
 them=20
by unscrewing the device. (Costs for developing a seperate card with=20
case/connector you could just plug in woudl be much higher, and increase =
the=20
size). The case would be a small black plastic case with one standard 9v=20
battery inside.

Would there be any demand for such a device? I realize that the flash=20
calculators have large amounts of memory, however I have filled my 89's=20
memory already, and this device would work on all the calculators...=20

Let me know what you think,
-Patrick