[TI-H] Re: TI Networking.

--- Olle Hedman <oh@hem.passagen.se>
> wrote:
>
>At 18:48 2001-05-05, you wrote:
>>one way to provide distinct addresses for each calculator would be using
>>the built-in ID#; i don't
>>know how to get to it but I'm sure there's a way.  if the network was set
>>up in a way with each
>>calc having an address and a packet being sent to just one calc with the
>>address in the header,
>>this could be helpful...
>>jeff
>
>The problem with this is that it is a bit too large number.
>rediculous to send 56 bits (7 bytes) just for adress.

Then don't send the whole thing. Hash the 56 bits into a checksum or other nifty byte/nibble format that will retain the uniqueness of the Calc. Exactly how without encountering a duplicate at least once, I dunno. (Maybe increment if a duplicate is found?) But starting with the Calc's ID number is a great idea. If the network hub is only about 4 ports or 8, you can actually hash it down to 2-3 bits and increment when collisions occur (one will get the address before another) and actually put the hub into the state of a basic router sending packets to the right addresses, which is practically required with the TI's small bandwidth potential.

Matrix-Zed E-Mail (Should This Be Removed?)