TI-H: PIXpand

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: PIXpand

Well, since it seems someone managed to get one working (even if the
thing about HOLDING the button for 2 seconds seems to either confuse
the microcontroller at times, or sometimes gets a bad connection), I
decided to join in. I currently have a friend who got a PSX connector
that allows you to download/upload slots from a Memory card to the
computer and vice versa, and no longer has a need for a huge 40+ page
memory card. I am taking advantage of this and building a PIXpand and
using his card to create a rather large archive of stuff for the
TI-86 (and possibly some 89 stuff if I have room for friends) and
actually put these plans to good use. Since most of the parts are
easy to get in an Electronics class, I only had to have my instructor
order 4 parts for it: the 4Mhz crystal, the 2 22 pF capacitors, the
microcontroller and a 3.3V Zener Diode (go figure, we had practically
every Zener BUT the 3.3V). I also had him order the 2.5mm Stereo
Jack, as I didn't see one, but I may be wrong.

I will probably have the Com84 programmer built by the middle of the
weak, and the ordered parts at roughly the same time. This means that
by the end of the week, I can give some sort of report on how
difficult the card is to manufacture, use, and make useful. Since the
unit acts like it is in 'silent link' mode when not trying to
actively send something, one should be able to download stuff onto it
directly from the computer using one of the TI Graphlink programs
that uses the silent link ability (86 springs to mind).

Already I have encountered problems... Instead of the thick 34-pin
connector, I used what appears to be a 40-pin IDE connector. This
proved to be REALLY pointless as I had to cut through the entire
thing to get the pins to actually hit the card's pins. This is also
bad because I would have to pull out the connector by the wire,
degrading the life of the connector. So... since I think I saw a 34
or 50 pin connector in our school's wonderful 'scrap PC,' I can try
that... or something else if I find it.

Everything else seems fairly straight-forward if you have a little
electronics experience, as the building's hard part is that homemade
PSX connector (the real thing seems like a rounded version of the
PIXpand's connector anyways) and the microcontroller, which needs to
get programmed...

Sorry for the long e-mail, just thought someone would like to know
this thing will end up being put to good use...

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical