TI-H: Re: Laser Network (OT)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Re: Laser Network (OT)

it'd be kinda amusing, yeah, and it would work if you had the inclination.

it would work like the IR serial ports most laptops already have; but if you
can already -see- the other computer, then the cable you string out between
them ought to be secure already, no? ;)

y'know what would be really really cool, is changing the IR port on a laptop
to work with a laser; it would be VERY simple to do, and highly amusing.
change the LED in there to a laser diode, use a transistor to switch the
larger current the LED demands, and pow.

a laser Ethernet would probably be a mite slower than fiber, and if you ran
a hub then all the computers would have to be able to -see- the hub, which
could get interesting.

and if i wanted to make it insecure, i'd pass a semisilvered mirror in the
way of the beam, or semisilver one of the existing mirrors with a bias on
the forward signal.

or i could just tap the transciever at the hub.

it'd still be wicked cool, though, i agree ;)

ohohohoh hey, lookie what i found -- go to www.conversant.com & click on the
banner thing for PAV Data Systems.
now THAT's amusing.

and they're right here in boston, too! neat-o.

--nick

Nick Foster / Bistromath / zaphod@coe.neu.edu
KeyID 2048/1024 0x663CB446
6CAF FFD4 F9BA 64BA ECF9  032E 7402 3886 663C B446