Re: TI-H: MAS3507D MP3 codec Sale!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: MAS3507D MP3 codec Sale!

From: <cavanc@hotmail.com>
> >From: "David Knaack" <dknaack@rdtech.com>
> >From: <cavanc@hotmail.com>
> > > Hmmm...
> > > Only 2.60 for a chip to read cd audio?
> > > If so, then it must only cost about $10 to make your own cd player.
> >
> >Unfortunately a CD player requires a few more parts beyond the
> >DAC (like a laser assembly, motors, microprocesser, buffer memory,etc).
>
> $3 laser, $0 motor, $2 cpu, you don't NEED a buffer, but it's always nice
> have :)
> My point was that companies are REALLY ripping people off!!!
> $150 cd players that cost them $10-$20 to make.

I think you are underestimating the precision and skill required
to build a CD player.

I also think that if you are paying $150 for a $20 OEM cd player
you are definately getting ripped off :)
You should be able to get a cheap portable CD player for way
under $50.  With a bit of shopping you should be able to pick
one up for $20.

> > > Well, I'm interested in building my own mp3 player.
> > > What does it cost for 64 MB of RAM?
> >
> >Depends on the RAM of course.  The memory system would
> >probably be over $70-80 bucks once you are done with it.
>
> Could I use some old dimms?

Of course, but you will probably need hardware to handle
memory refresh cycles and such.  A flash memory module
would probably be much easier to use.

> >If you want memory, buy a commercial player.  If you want
> >capacity, build your own with a harddrive.
>
> Hehe, I guess I could use my 512 MB HD, or maybe my 1.2 GB one....

A harddrive will be a much easier to use form of mass
storage, particularly if you have never interfaced
a large amount of RAM to a microcontroller before.

If you do want to use RAM, you'll probably want SRAM,
as it is easier to deal with.

DK

Follow-Ups: References: