Re: TI-H: hey (cont.)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: hey (cont.)

Actually I believe that computers really can't understand anything but 0 or
1, or actually low voltage / high voltage, unless of course you want to get
into quantum computing.  At least I can't think of a multiple voltage
transistor.  And binary is "real math" its just based on a different set of
numbers :)  As far as the speed of electrical vs light I beleive tat
electical pulses travel at almost the speed if not the speed of light.
Though I definatly could be wrong there.

--- Adam Kavan
--- akavan@cse.unl.edu

At 02:46 PM 1/26/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Actually, the reason we have the 0 1 system isn't because computers can't
>understand them, its because of storage. A computer would be able to
>differentiate among different amounts of electricity or whatever. A hard
>drive or a CD can only understand "magnet there or magnet not there" or "hole
>there or hole not there"  So if we had computers like that, we would have no
>storage, which would suck. :)
>
>In a message dated 1/26/00 1:37:44 PM Central Standard Time, npfs@cybcon.com
>writes:
>
><< as i said stupid finals.
> anyway as i was saying even though we would have to totally redesign almost
>everything would it be possible to have instead of a binary code but a system
>based on tens (red 0, blue 1, yellow 3, etc.)  a digital system is good for
>now but it has it's drawbacks of computers only unnderstanding 0 and 1 not
>even actual math.  and plus light pulses are faster than eletrical pulses and
>copper wires and others arn't exactly perfect.  well let's see how this
>goes...
> Bernard >>

Follow-Ups: References: