RE: TI-H: HAPPY Y2K

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-H: HAPPY Y2K

>I had quite a few systems to prepare, but none of them had any problems.
>
>IBM AS/400 (midrange database and applications server) had absolutely no
>problems.  And it's the only mainframe-like machine we got -- all our
>'millions of lines of cobol code' (ya right) went over without a hitch.

The Alyeska Resort in AK uses IBM/AS400 and their POS (Point of sale)
systems weren't y2k compliant.  The were patches available before.

>Infogenesis store controller, for restaurants and gift shop:  it's old 486
>hardware, so we *did* have to bring it down, set the date ahead to 2000,
>and bring it up again.  No problems other than that.

Some 486s don't understand the date no matter what.  You have to buy some
sort of BIOS upgrade or a windows patch.  Using unix seems like a smart
idea by this time.

>Linux internet firewall (that I built) -- no problems.  Actually the
>hardware clock was wrong and it made the Y2K rollover about an hour and a
>half early.  :)  I'm pretty sure a __time_t doesn't roll over until 2037
>anyway.

For linux...  :)  There are many BSD people preparing stable patches for
dates past 2038.

>Crisco...I mean Cisco routers...no problems. :)  Do they even know what
>time it is?  Probably not.  :)

They do, but of course...they are atleast 2k anyway.  :)

>Hitachi telephone switch & digital phones:  no problems here either.

japan had some problems with cell phones.

>However, I *guarantee* we would have had serious problems if we hadn't
>applied vendor patches and been paying attention to our systems in the days
>before the rollover.  It's definitely an avoided tragedy, not an imagined
>one.

Yes, you're right.  Thats what most people get wrong.  The only reason
there wasn't any huge problems is because of government and user planning.

In ak, we have problems with Child support systems, permenant fund, and
jurry selection.  The government might have fixed them by now, but the fact
is...small problems will be popping up even after 2001.

Grant