No Subject

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

From: M. Adam Davis <adavis@ubasics.com>
> David Knaack wrote:
> You
> seem to indicate that you CAN su to root at the console, so what's the
problem?

I can su to any user, from the console, when booting in single mode.
Obviously the box is of very little use running in this mode, and it
is higly inconvienant to drop to single mode everytime I want to
make a configuration change.

> Can't you change the file back to what it was at before?

A adjusted the permissions on /bin/su, and added users to
the wheel group.  Other than that, I don't recall any changes.
The same changes on another box worked just fine (I tested the
changes on a test server before doing it on the production
machine).

I have already changed /bin/su back to the way it was, but the problem
persists.  Perhaps it is unrelated, I don't know.  If i knew what exactly
was causing the problem, I'd have already fixed it.

>  What you you mean, "when I broke it"?  Do you know what you did which broke it?

It broke during or after my changes.  Presumably either my changes broke
it, or someone rooted the box and locked me out (which would be a very
stupid thing to do if you had root access to a box).

DK