Re: TI-H: Backlighting and a few other things

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Backlighting and a few other things

Title: Backlighting and a few other things
From: Michael Erlewine
I have a TI-86 and would like to add some sort of backlighting and a run-your-calc-off-of-external-power thingy.
One each of the many possable ways to acomplish both of those are covered at my web site: http://www.genetech.net/~dknaack
The version of the external power supply I have detailed there is not very fancy.  Probably more what you're looking for anyway, if you want to avoid soldering.  The new version is much better, hopefully I'll get time to put it up soon.
I would like to do this myself, and i would like to know if there is a way to do it without soldering (i have bitter memories of soldering),
Doing it without soldering is going to be difficult, or at least unreliable.  There are crimp options available, but you can't crimp to a PCB.  I'd recommend practicing your soldering, its not that difficult.
and without having the risk of killing my calc.
Theres always that risk.  Planning exactly what you need to do, having all the parts tools in reach and keeping your workspace neat and well lit will help to minimize the chance that you'll break something.  'course, if your a natural-born klutz with 10 left thumbs you'd be better off sending it to someone else :)
Also, i run to RadioShack a lot, but do I need to go someplace else for parts?  help me guys!
Depends entierly what what parts you need and how fast you need them.  Radio Shack is great when you need a common part right away.  I'd also recommend finding a local electronics store for less common parts, and learn which online suppliers have what parts (digikey and mouser are good places to start, but there are lots of them).
DK