Re: TI-H: TI Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI Modem

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >about a megabyte per second, using the most efficient code that I know of
> >(I'm not
> >a programmer):  move.w (a0),(a1) over and over for the size of the buffer.
> >That is
> >not 1MB per second access speed, but 1MB per second copy speed.  Just out of
> >curiosity, where do you get 8MB?

> Building the ethernet card into the calculator and clocking the enet card
> and calc with the same crystal.

Did you transfer 8 megaBYTES or 8 megaBITS?  I am afraid I am just a bit
skeptical...  I don't see how you can transfer 8 Megabytes using a 2.5MHz bus.  Do
the math:  2.5 million bus cycles, 2 bytes on the bus per cycle...  that's 2.5 * 2
= 5 megabytes.  That's 5 TOTAL.  That would have to include the read, the write and
the instruction fetch.  I'm sorry, but I don't see how this can be right.  I count
the fastest possible copy can happen at about 1 megaBYTE ber second, which is equal
to 8 megaBITS.

> Not everyone on this list knows how to use a soldering iron, or how to
> solder PQFP with a $8 RS iron.

And not everyone needs to sacrifice speed and efficiency for user-friendliness in
Windows 95 either.  And look what it has done to my computer.  This may sound
harsh, but as far as I am concerned, if someone wants to use a computer, having to
learn how to use it isn't such a bad thing.  Same thing applies here I think, as
well as what I said before:  If someone has the knowlege and the want or need to
network their CALCULATOR, they most likely already know or need to learn how to
solder.

--
-Calan

Chris Lambert
clambert@ieee.org
Member of Geneva College Student Branch IEEE
Head of Marvin Robotic Development Team

Follow-Ups: References: