Re: TI-H: Infrared cable adapter

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Infrared cable adapter

>With the method I suggested or with the remote that came with the TV?

er, actually, the method i made up on the spot.  Kind of a combination of
both.

Take that old 555 timer you use to impress your friends by flashing an LED
on and off repeatedly and set it up to oscillate at 40KHz.  Yes, lots of
tweaking is required.  Stick an IR LED on the output.  Attach the power
supply of the 555 to a Radio Shack 40KHz IR demodulator (essentially the
inverse of the above circuit but in a neat-o little box) coupled to a
transistor for switching.  Point your remote control at the demodulator.
TV turns off.  Yay.
It looks like this:

REMOTE ---zap--->  /demodulator/  --signal minus 40KHz carrier------> 555
timer @ 40KHz ---> IR LED -----> Old Sony

Now, the difficult thing is to write an ASM program to mimic the sound of
the remote, a high chirp.  It needs to be decoded exactly, so maybe I'll
sync it up with my microphone sampling rate on the computer and dig out the
bits.  If only a 'record' routine could be implemented on the link cord...

--nick

Nick Foster / zaphod@ici.net / Bistromath
Key ID 2048 / 770F6E8F
Fingerprint  9E 60 08 44 FB F2 C9 CE  BE 74 08 87 2C 39 4B 6E  77 0F 6E 8F

Follow-Ups: References: