TI-H: Infrared cable adapter

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Infrared cable adapter

Judging from my experience, it should be relatively simple to splice an
infrared LED to the TI-cable, perhaps with a transistor as a switch or even
direct, powered by the cable's own voltage.  It would be easy then to
construct a complementary phototransistor link and thus optiplex the TI
calculators, like a laptop's IR port.  Even if this is too tough, since the
output to the wire can be modulated (i.e., to produce sounds from the
port), wouldn't it be trivial to program the proper modulations to, say,
turn off your TV?  Poof, instant universal remote.  Someone, somewhere,
might have enough time on their hands to program in an entire library of
VCR & TV codes.  If so, that person can be my friend.

btw, same thing might work for garage door openers, as those are just
modulated carrier as well.  Be the terror of your neighborhood!  Write an
algorithm to cycle through all possible codes!  Watch neighbors cringe in
fear at their possessed garage doors!  Or, not.  I don't care.  It's just a
suggestion, anyway.
Control radio-controlled cars?  Hmm.

Now, if only TI-calcs had enough sound capabilities to do DTMF, geeks in
pocket-protectors would take over whole third-world countries.

--nick

Nick Foster / zaphod@ici.net / Bistromath
Key ID 2048 / 770F6E8F
Fingerprint  9E 60 08 44 FB F2 C9 CE  BE 74 08 87 2C 39 4B 6E  77 0F 6E 8F