Re: TI-H: Place (ahhh here is what he meant)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Place (ahhh here is what he meant)

>hmm
>
>ok let me try to redeem him once more ?!
>he knows what he is talking about sorta i think <grin>

ATA-3/4 supports LBA
SCSI uses LBA

IDE transfers data in blocks of 512bytes (most of the time)
SCSI transfers data in blocks of 512bytes (most of the time)

You send a command to the IDE device and it interrupts you when its ready
to send/receive 512bytes.
Same with SCSI.

With SCSI, the controller is on the computer.  With IDE, the controller is
on the hard drive's controller card.

IDE was developed for nothing byt the ease of use.  It was developed so you
wouldn't need a controller, just a ribbon cable.

Remember the MFM days?  Thats what compaq wanted to get rid of.

IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) and ATA (AT Attachment) are one and the
same thing: a disk drive implementation designed to integrate the
controller onto the drive itself, thereby reducing interface costs, and
making firmware implementations easier.  ATA (as it is properly called) has
become the drive of choice for the cost inhibited buyer.

IDE makes it no easier to impliment a fat than SCSI does.  The only large
difference is that IDE and SCSI use different protocols for transfering
data.  There are devices that will take care of that for you and put IDE
devices on a scsi bus, or the other way arround.

SCSI talks the same in a USER DEFINED FORMAT as IDE.