Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

>>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
>>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>>Subject: Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw
>>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:44:07 -0800
>>

>> >Of COURSE it is!  The Sun platform is FAR superior to any either the PC
>>or
>> >Mac architecture has to offer.  Of course, the problem is that barely any
>> >consumer software is available for Sun - they have restricted themselves
>> >business and industry.
>>
>>Nope.  You can run windows on a sun.  You can also run any linux or unix
>>program available with source or binaries.
>
>That's all emulation - and as such, painfully slow.

Have you ever seen it?  Its not too slow

>> >Plus you pay a lot - but unlike with a Mac, you get
>> >what you pay for.
>>
>>You're way off on that one.
>
>I don't think so.  What am I paying for with an iMac, exactly?  "Cool
>factor?"  Even you must admit they are grossly overpriced.

Not really.  I can get a 233 for $600, and its going to work.

>> >And by the way, of course it's TRUE.  YES, a 400MHz G3 will outperform a
>> >standard PENTIUM, for GOD'S sake!!!
>>
>>Just look at the public workstation benchmarks and then talk.  You're
>>beating the dead horse pentium III.  The Mac gives you what you pay for it
>>and thats a fact.
>
>What I'm "beating" is the Pentium Pro core architecture which actually IS
>competitive with the G3.  In addition, the Pentium II/III has the advanced
>multimedia instruction set - which, if I'm not mistaken, the G3 lacks.
>Software written for the Katmai instructions will blow away the same
>software running on a Mac - mark my words.

The 750 doesn't need to add instructions like that since they have a secure
hold on the RISC and multimedia market.  The ONLY reason those instructions
were added was so that software would only run on intel hardware and not
AMD.  They did provide some performance increase, but only 5%-10% for
comparable MHz intel CPUs.

>> >That was my POINT - Mac won't compare a
>> >G3 to a comparable processor - like a P/III or a P/II - in their ads.
>>
>>Yes they do.  You've got whats called 'selective add choosing disorder'.
>
>All right, my friend.  Point one out to me next time you see it.  Fair?

I did.  There is one on PC Magazines www site.

The computer I use is the /300MHz model.  The PIII hasn't been tested yet
because PC Magazine found that performance did not increase signifigantly
from the PII.  They said only about 5% and it wasn't noticable.

                                                      Total:  FPU:   INT:
SUN Ultra2      ( Solaris /S01)  UltarSparcII 300 MHz  679.2  432.5  843.6
SGI Origin 2000 ( IRIX /R05)     R10000  195 MHz       447.8  331.5  525.3
PowerMac 8500/G3 ( MacOS /P10d)  PowerPC 750 333 MHz   431.3  366.1  474.7
PowerMac G3 /300 ( MacOS)        PowerPC 750 300 MHz   426.7  419.1  434.4
DEC Alpha      ( DEC-Unix /A02)  AXP 21164 300 MHz     380.1  326.3  416.0
Dual Pentium II  ( Linux /L02)   2xPentium II 300 MHz  289.5  278.6  296.7