Re: TI-H: networking two DOS PCs (OT like the rest of them)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: networking two DOS PCs (OT like the rest of them)

>I have just started building my first pc and I would like it to have basic
>network support. I'm not very experienced with networking but I have noticed
>a large amoun of OT messages about Ethernet and I was wondering if anyone
>knew how to connect two dos PCs with a NE2000 compatible card and an
>EN7000p3 or SMC8013 network cards. I also have an old Synoptics Model 800 8
>port hub but i'd prefer to connect the pcs through that thin coax cable. Can
>anyone help me with software, hardware or anything like that?

With the equipment you have it would be easiest to us Cat5 (10baseT cable),
you can buy or make a crossover cable which will let you connect two
computers without a hub. If you really want to run thinnet (coax) you will
need the following: 2 terminators, 2 T-connectors, 3 cables w/ BNC ends.
The 2 T-connectors go on the NIC cards, then put a cable between the two
t-connectors. Next attach the remaining cables between a terminator and the
remaining side of each of the T-connectors. That should set you up hardware
wise.
        As for software, the easiest way to get them to see each other is
windows 95. I'm not really sure about dos software, but I do know how to
program routers if you need help with that.

Bryan Wyatt