Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw
>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:44:07 -0800
>

> >Of COURSE it is!  The Sun platform is FAR superior to any either the PC
>or
> >Mac architecture has to offer.  Of course, the problem is that barely any
> >consumer software is available for Sun - they have restricted themselves
> >business and industry.
>
>Nope.  You can run windows on a sun.  You can also run any linux or unix
>program available with source or binaries.

That's all emulation - and as such, painfully slow.

> >Plus you pay a lot - but unlike with a Mac, you get
> >what you pay for.
>
>You're way off on that one.

I don't think so.  What am I paying for with an iMac, exactly?  "Cool
factor?"  Even you must admit they are grossly overpriced.

> >And by the way, of course it's TRUE.  YES, a 400MHz G3 will outperform a
> >standard PENTIUM, for GOD'S sake!!!
>
>Just look at the public workstation benchmarks and then talk.  You're
>beating the dead horse pentium III.  The Mac gives you what you pay for it
>and thats a fact.

What I'm "beating" is the Pentium Pro core architecture which actually IS
competitive with the G3.  In addition, the Pentium II/III has the advanced
multimedia instruction set - which, if I'm not mistaken, the G3 lacks.
Software written for the Katmai instructions will blow away the same
software running on a Mac - mark my words.

> >That was my POINT - Mac won't compare a
> >G3 to a comparable processor - like a P/III or a P/II - in their ads.
>
>Yes they do.  You've got whats called 'selective add choosing disorder'.

All right, my friend.  Point one out to me next time you see it.  Fair?