Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

----Original Message Follows----
That specific model is...old.  You also can't compare MIPS between a SUN
and other platforms.  Suns are just nasty fast.

No, when I say they're out of production, I MEAN they're out of production.
As in not to be found on their website.

 >I don't want to use a computer that's incompatible with what all my
friends
 >are using.

Emulate.

 >I don't want a computer that has the Mac OS on it, and I'm certainly not
 >going to put Linux on the only machine I have in Dublin.

NetBSD.

NO no no no.  I'm not talking one flavor of Unix as opposed to another.  I'm
talking Unix, PERIOD.  A) I'm not experienced with the OS B) Emulation is a
LOT harder with Unix.  Look how long it's taking them to get WINE working,
for God's sake.

 >I DO want a computer that supports all the software I already have
(withOUT
 >slow-ass emulation, thank you)

Not slow!  I run Protel and MISE all the time.

Which includes games which need Direct3D support.

 >I DO want a computer that is at least marginally better than the desktop I
 >have now (a PII/400 w/ an 8MB i740 gfx card) and
 >I DO want a computer I can play the games I have on.

I want a computer I can love.

OH GOD.  Pardon me whilst I hurl!
I love any computer that I've bought with my own money, thank you very much.

 >Listen, I really have nothing personal against the Mac.  If Jobs would
wisen
 >up and license the hardware tech out to clone companies, the Mac platform
 >would get a shot of adrenaline in the ass and quite possibly knock Wintel
 >for a loop.  Hardware development would be stimulated and they might just
 >become good enough to effortlessly emulate Win98 and scream through their
 >own applications, AT A PRICE I CAN AFFORD.

If you want to afford it, get an old one.

Which kind of negates the whole point, doesn't it?  And you JUST admitted
that they're too damn expensive.

 >You know what?  Great!  Let's
 >see 'em do it!  But it hasn't happened, and it's not likely to happen, so
 >ain't going to buy a Mac.

Other people are, so its going to be a long lasting tradition for the next
29k years.  Then we get to throw away our macs.

 > >And that ability to clock down the proc has only recently come to
laptops,
 > >so that's not true.  And it CERTAINLY doesn't happen on the fly!
 >
 >Its been there in the -good- processors for a while.  It does happen on
the
 >fly.  The onboard temp sensor has trip points for when it shuts off
totally
 >and when to clock down.
 >
 >Define -good- processors.

My IBM 586 DX 100 and other well built processors.  When you get an intel
and in the middle of quake, the screen gets trashed and it starts making
funny noises, you know its not keeping track of the temperature.

I recall reading somewhere that it's impossible (without a lot of extra
hardware, of course) to shift clock speeds in mid-operation.  That makes an
awful lot of sense to me given what I know about computer architecture, so
I'd like you to convince me otherwise.
Perhaps rather than shifting clock speeds the proc simply inserts a bunch of
NOOPs?  Do those generate less heat?

I'll tell you what, Grant.  I'll go to Pricewatch and look up Powerbooks.
Maybe, JUST maybe, I'll find something I can use.