Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, J D wrote:

> It ain't THAT close.  Close-ish, perhaps.  Well.  Hm.  Where can I see the
> results of that test?  :)  See, I'm in the market for a laptop, and there
> are already Celeron/466 chips available for them, so that might be a good
> idea.  Would a Celeron/466 system perform better than my PII/400 desktop
> system, you think?  Accounting for the 100MHz bus (or lack thereof), and
> all?
Any laptop that has a 466 Celeron in it is using a regular desktop celeron
466(read: will suck down the battery in an hour or less.)  The fastest
laptop celeron is either 300 or 333 currently.  The fastest mobile PII is
the 366.  AMD has a K6-3 380 mobile proc though.  If you get a laptop that
uses a production proc, your battery will suck even worse than it already
does.

> I can spend about $2000 on this thing.  What do you guys suggest as far as
> processor, mem, gfx, etc?  Where should I look?  I'm sort of afraid to buy
> from Pricewatch because I've had bad experiences with PW companies in the
> past.  Should I get a personally configured Presario from Compaq?  I know I
> want to go with AMD because you get so much more for your $$$.  But.  Inform
> me!
For $2000, make sure you load up on ram.  I would also go for a nice bog
screen, and consider the proc speed last.  I have found my laptop which is
a p5-133 has plenty of power for anything I do on it.  If your into games
then a laptop isn't the answer, go get a desktop with a nvidia tnt2 card.

> I agree with you, though, that the PII and PIII are overpriced for what you
> get.  I can't WAIT for the K7, baby :)

The K7 is gonna be high priced too, but I plan on trying to get a dual K7
once they become available.  It looks like if amd does it right, they will
be the first to have a production 1Ghz proc.