Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

>Orginally, the celeron had no l2 cache, but that didn't last long, and any
>celeron above 300 Mhz has 128KB of full speed l2 cache.  It makes up for
>its 4 times smaller cache by being full speed instead of half speed, and
>will hang with a PII of the same clock in almost anything, except maybe
>audocad.  Oh, and they are a lot cheaper.
>http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/weekly_cpu/ has the most recent
>prices.  $53 for a Celeron 300A(with 128K l2 cache), and $35 for a k6-2
>350.  Cheapest PII is $153 for the PII-350.
>
>On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Cavan Carroll wrote:
>

> > >Well, Veteran mac users are complaining that the iMac and new G3s
> > >suck because apple decided to use a 7 cent part instead of a 10 cent
> > >one to make Windows users switch.
> >
> > Well, while we're on the subject, the only difference between a PII and
> > Celeron is that the Celeron had the internal cache ripped out and it
>dropped
> > the speed at least 100 Mhz ( until recently ) but only lowered the cost
> > couple of bucks!
That isn't what I ment by lowering the cost a couple of bucks.
It lowered there cost a couple of bucks.
I can get processors cheaper then that ... , but my original point was that
they are completely ripping people off with the PII!
In general production cost *4 = your cost but in this case $2 for them =
$100 more for you .

    suck it
     world's biggest idiot
        Cavan Carrol