Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

>On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 01:45:26PM -0900, Grant Stockly wrote:
>>
>> >If he wants to run an FTP server, than DHCP is not the solution. Also,
>> >there should be no problem with the things that are started at startup.
>> >Unless of course you installed samba (uninstall that, it's microsloth
>> >networking stuff). If you're running RedHat 5.2, you don't need to upgrade
>> >sendmail, it's already the latest version. And Grant, since when did you
>> >know dick about using Linux?
>>
>> Hmmm...  applecyber.dyndns.com?  gussie.alaska.net?  Linux/68k.
>>
>> DHCP is the solution for his windows box.
>Uh...no? He wants both the Linux box and the windows box on the same
>ethernet port, i.e. using the SAME IP address (I doubt that GATech gives
>you more than one). So the easiest (although for such a small network, it's
>almost a toss-up) solution is to give the PC a static IP like 192.168.1.2
>(in fact i recommend that one) and the second ethernet card on the Linux box
>192.168.1.1 and then letting the primary ethernet card use DHCP to get it's
>IP, and setting up IP Masquerading. That way, if he wants to add more
>boxen, he just has to hook them up to the secondary ethernet card's
>network, and give them unique IP's in the 192.168.0.0/16 subnet.

Ummm...  No.  DHCP server for the linux box.  He'd be smart to look at what
was installed...  There are a ton of holes in the set that comes with
RedHat.

>> And Jon, since when did you know "dick" about me?
>Well, I've seen loads of your posts to this list. From what I've seen in
>the past year or 2, you seem to be leaps and bounds ahead of me in
>electronics, but you seem to know considerably less about software. And
>just because you can set up a pair of Linux boxen doesn't mean you know "the"
>solution to a problem. Anyone with a little time and experience can set up
>a Linux box, there is almost always more than one solution to a problem
>(although in this case I don't see any easy one other than masquerading,
>becuase you're trying to carry two boxen over one IP).

I never post about software, so how do you know?  do a little dns lookup
and you'll find they are the same server.

I don't just set them up, I admin them and program for them.  Would you
like a linux program that will run on your pc and display strings you send
to it?  Or how about a dyndns mockup server?

Gee...

Follow-Ups: References: