Re: TI-H: Speed of da G3

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Speed of da G3

Yeah see, none mac users don't understand. Extensions are sometimes
Libraries, sometimes not. More often they are system trap patches
(Glidel, Kaleidoscope) or complete feature sets that must stay
resident in memory (or at least their memory location must be ready)
examples are QuickTime, Open Transport. I would like to see a screen
shot of the window maker thingy in action. How do you find simple
tasks hard to do on the MacOS? There are 5 different ways to do each
task.

At approximately 9:53 PM -0500GMT on the day Earth People call
1/14/99, Jon Olson declared:

>>From my understanding extensions are basically libraries that are loaded
> into memory at startup, and act basically the same way kernel modules do in
> Linux. only they've got nice little controls panels to configure them which
> would look great of only macs had a decent looking widget set (especially
> those window title bars...ick, and yes, i knwo there are ways to make it
> look prettier, but it's still nothing like my windowmaker desktop).
> Personally, I think extensions just slow down system startup by leaps and
> bounds for what they do (at least that's what they do on my friend Murray's
> power mac). I personally hate MacOS. I find it's very hard to do simple
> tasks in, and I really miss having a nice command line on which to do
> things. I guess coming from a Linux/X background that makes sense though.
> Now...if only i could find myself a cheap [read:free] powermac on which to
> run MkLinux :>

---
I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to
the developers for which it stands, one platform, under Jobs,
indestructible, with creativity and multimedia for all.