Re: TI-H: Re: y2k[increasingly off topic]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: y2k[increasingly off topic]

They count money to the thousands place,

$ ###.###

And round up to the nearest penny at the end of the transaction.  Of
course, they only show $ ###.## on the pump.  I was actually thinking
this weekend about this, wondering about the gas stations across the
corner from each other advertising the same price...  What if one of
them advertised #.##8 instead of the 9?  They might get a few more
customers, perhaps enough to cover the loss of the tenth cent...  But
the 9 is fixed on every gas station sign I've ever seen.

Of course, we all shouldn't care because the mechanism they use to
measure the gas isn't accurate enough to know the difference between
1/10 of a cent of gas (which, if the gas is priced $1.309/gal, is .128
fluid ounces, or just over an eigth of a fluid ounce).

-Adam

"Well kids, gas is cheaper than milk, so today we're having amoco
ultimate on our cereal..."