Re: TI-H: Re: y2k

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: y2k

From: <RoniBarrett@aol.com>
> As far as im concerned, any company that suffers for y2k problems deserves
> it. They could have corrected for it anytime over the last 5 years, since
> virtually all computers made in that time are y2k compliant, and many of
the
> rest are non-date dependant. With a little extra cash, they could have
> corrected for it 10 or 15 years ago. If they arnt ready now, its their own
> damn fault, and they deserve everything the get.

Unfortunately this is a 'cutting of your nose to spite your face' attitude.
If the oil industry suffers anything more than minor failures, we'll all
be teetering on the brink of total economic and social collapse due
to the lack of most of the resources we need to live.  No gasoline means
no power, no power means no food delivery, no water purification, no
garbage disposal, etc.

A less catastrophic failure would be if Microsoft products failed.
Unfornatunately this would be pretty darn bad too, the majority of
computers in America would be out of commission as far as
running a business.  I'd expect life would go on, just at reduced
capacity for a while.

How about this...  The American banks lend out better than 90% of
the dollars that they have deposited, and the vast majority of the
US money supply is 'virtual', existing only as bits in a computer.
If even 5% of the population withdraws all their cash over New
Years, the entire banking system will collapse, and the remaining
95% of the money will vanish without a trace.  Of course, so will
all debts and credit records.

Besides that, if the money supply collapses, paper dollars probably
won't be worth as much as a hill of beans anyway (literally).

Guess I should have been turning cash into hard assets for the last
couple of years.

Oh well, easy come, easy go :)

The Unprepared- DK