Re: TI-H: What should I buy ??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: What should I buy ??

AMD and Intel are about equally stable.  Intel no longer holds the crown of
"best of the best," AMD does with its Athlon processor.  However, it does
not sound like this gentleman can afford the best of the best (a situation I
am familiar with), so the choice comes down between AMD's K6-2 and III
processors and Intel's Celerons.
I stated it before: for business apps, nothing can beat AMD's
price-performance ratio.  However, for 3-D games, Intel still holds the
crown in the value arena with their Celerons.

I'm a die-hard AMD fan, BTW.  :-)

----Original Message Follows----
There is no such thing as a simple comparison table.  Sorry.  Nothing is
simple
about choosing a processor.

I will tell you that on both side of  the 'discussion' you'll see a lot of
good,
a lot of mediocre, and a lot of fanaticism.  Take me, for instance.  I stick
with Intel product.  It has never failed me, all of my customers require it,
it
has the image of rock-solid stability.  Is it rock solid stable?  No, but as
far
as I'm concerned, AMD is less stable than Intel.

Have I sold and used AMD?  Yes.  They are good chips.  Do I recommend them?
Only where cost is an issue, and performance is not.  If one can afford
intel,
then there is no compelling reason to go with AMD.  Price/Performance is,
honestly, pretty equal between the two.

Once you start using one processor or the other, chances are you will become
part of an advocate for it.  It comes with the territory.  When someone
bashes
Intel, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight.  The fact is, is
when
they do that (without good reason) it is as though they are saying, "The
processor you chose is bad, therefore you made a bad choice."  This divides
both
sides quite a bit, as it affects both of them (notice how whenever anyone
says
intel is as good as or better than AMD, Grant and a few others *instantly*
post
messages returning the bashing back on Intel.)  Simple human pride.  (also
happens with PIC/AVR/Scenix uC postings, OS wars, etc...)

So, there is really no way for you to look at both, and decide based on
their
merits.  For every merit to AMD, there is one for Intel, and vice versa.  It
comes down to which one you like better.  Which comes down to which company
has
a better image, or which image appeals to you more.  And is affected by
those
you deal with and their choices.  If all your friends and people you dealt
with
used AMD, you wouldn't have even asked us this question.

As far as motherboards, I haven't heard of either brand.  Either they are
low
end (cheap, computer shopper, no-name, etc) or they simply aren't well
known.
Call the manufacturers.  See how responsive they are to questions.
Generally
all MB have the same chipset and use one of 5 or 6 major bios manufacturers
bios's, so there really are very few issues regarding which is better.  So
go
after the one that has dependable support.

Anyway...

-Adam

"Funny story, really...  It all started with me thinking inflammable was the
opposite of flammable..." -Dave Whamond