TI-H: Bad TI $4 serial link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Bad TI $4 serial link

Hello everybody,
   I took my first big step into messing up hardware and decided to build by
own "$4 serial link" to hook up my TI-86 to my computer. Thing is, it is
somehow messed up. I followed the schematic on
http://linkcables.ticalc.org/serial.html precisely. I used parts with the
exact specifications mentioned and soldered them together. I used half of
the original TI calc-to-calc cable for the calculator side to ensure a good
connection. I am running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and tried using WTran8x
and W32Tran8x, and even TI's GL program for the heck of it. When I simply
plug the cable in, the led is on bright. Whenever I try to transfer
something it gets a little dimmer, but then the calculator complains of
Error 38 - link error, and the led goes back to bright.
   I am going to try to use cal091b later if I feel like going to DOS. Do
any of you have any idea why this does not work? All diodes are in the right
direction, the resistors' directions do not matter (right?). One idea I
have: I used super glue to make sure nothing would fall out of place - but I
kind of doubt super glue is very conductive... I read the "hints" page on
the link above but nothing...

Help please...

Eilon Lipton
yoe@mediaone.net