Re: TI-H: Networking

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Networking

>Grant Stockly (gussie@alaska.net) wrote:
>
>>>i have 2 modems and 2 phone lines, running windows 95, can i have 2 people
>>>call me up and create a network, play 3 player quake without the Internet
>>
>>It would be faster to invest in some $1,500 wireless multi-point wireless
>>ethernet hardware...
>
>Or just invest in getting an ISP for $20 or so/month and doing the games
>via TCP/IP.  Besides, the wireless ethernet stuff only has a range of
>around 1,000 feet unless you amp it, and I don't think many people would
>want to void their warranty and risk screwing up equipment like that.

No...  You use directional satellite dishes.  They are about $70.  Gives a
range of about 3 miles.

You can't amp these things...they use a strange form of broadcasting that
would mess up an amp.

And if you use high gain grid dishes you can get an abs max of 25 miles.
I'm done it 7 miles.  Multi-point.  One location is 5 miles, the other 7.

Grant