Re: TI-H: linux...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: linux...

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Matthew H. Fogle wrote:

> I used to work for AOL. They do know what they are saying; even when you use the
> winsock connection to the network you are using there DHCP server's IP address
> assigned to your machine and it does route threw a proxie. Although I personally
> hate AOL as a provider after working for them I do see it has some nice features
> that new users and intermeditate users can enjoy...

Routing through a proxy is an oxymoron.  Anyone ever heard of the OSI
stack?  Routing is IP-only (level 3).  Proxies run at layers above
(usually layer 7).

You obvisously have no idea how DHCP works.  By saying that they use DHCP,
you've invalided your former statement that they use proxies.  If you use
a proxy, most likely you won't go to the trouble of setting up DHCP.

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982