Re: TI-H: linux...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: linux...

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Brian Watson wrote:

> TGaArdvark@aol.com (TGaArdvark@aol.com) wrote:
>
> >Precisely why I use Netscape (that and I hate MSIE).
>
> If you're connecting via AOL and using Netscape, you're still going
> through their server and proxy...

Uhmmmm...No.  When you connect to AOL, you get an IP address assigned to
you individually.  The proxy only gets used when you use AOL's obsolete
integrated browser.

You can connect to AOL with the AOL client, start one of the many ftp
servers for windows, and ftp into your AOL client.  You can also ping it
and do all that wonderful stuff.

If you connect to AOL and use Netscape, you are NOT using the proxy.  You
are not censored from anything.  You get logged as being from your dynamic
IP.  It's no different than dialing into your average PPP-based ISP and
doing whatever.  You get your own IP, but it's dynamic.

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982