Re: TI-H: linux...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: linux...

Grant Stockly wrote:

> Which games were made under linux?
>
> "Doom
> Quake
> Hexen

Where to start... Oh well. 1st, Doom, made with NeXT step. The Linux
code was release because it is the only one that could be released
LEGALLY. (Sound files in the DOS version prohibited its release. This
was in the README file.) Quake, again made on NeXT. My source: QuakeED
source released for NeXT only because thier development platform is
NeXT. The source to QuakeED is avail. on Id's site. Read the README, its
in there. 3rd, Hexen (Original, NOT II) was made from the DOS source of
DOOM. Hexen II was made from the Windows source of Quake I. Quake II was
made with WIN95. DirectX (What Q2 uses to DRAW TO THE SCREEN) is Win95
ONLY, and therefore development MUST be on Win95. You can't write for a
one platform, then switch the rendering engines, it would take FAR too
much time to port. Unreal, currently popular game, also better software
rendering than Q2, made on Win95. There are no plans to make a Linux
port due to the heavy use of DX calls. (Sorry.)

Commercial (Big game house) Games TRUELY made on Linux:

	Abuse, Crack.Com. Made for Linux, then ported to DOS for retail sale.
Opposite of DOOM. (Made on NeXT, ported to DOS for retail, then ported
to Linux. There was NO official Registered version of Doom for Linux, as
the EXE could determine between WAD files. As in, you bought the retail
DOS, it would work for Linux if you gave it the new WAD file. Anyway you
look at it, Linux came much after the DOS version for it to be the
original platform.)

	Golgatha, Crack.Com. Never finshed due to insufficent funds. Still,
work goes on, but they are basically bankrupt. Written for Linux on
Linux.

> -The FIRST public domain portable hardware mp3 player-
> http://gussie.alaska.net

Few questions about this one. Are you relenquishing the Copyright of the
idea? If so, you're running with public domain, if not, you're not.
Explaination: Public Domain is exactly that, the public's property. The
public owns all rights to the idea, and you don't have any rights to the
idea. Freeware, a diffrent concept, is when you own the Copyright but
you give it away for free. My understanding of the MP3 player is its
freeware. You can't relenquish the control of the (C) on the actual
PLAYER. (That would be the MAS chip.) If you programed something that
decoded and output the decoded stream, then you could, but that is not
how you did it, and therefore, its FREEWARE, not Public domain.

BTW: This is not the place to advertise your MP3 player. A small thing
in your SIG is fine, but keep the extra posts about it to yourself.

To the Linux/UN*X debate:

	Linux is a version of UNIX, written from MINIX, a UNIX clone itself.
UNIX is usually considered AT&T's UNIX in writing, and UNIX and its
varients in speech. UN*X is the accepted written version of UNIX and all
its varients, Solaris, IRIX, HP/UX, FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD/386, etc. If
you're refering to Linux as anything but Linux, you're wrong. If you use
UN*X for UNIX and its Varients, you're right. :)

To the Nintendo thing:

	Nintendo games, original system, were made with NES development
software on a Apple. (Can't remember which one exactly, but you can look
it up. Several Technical info sites for the NES are on the Web.) SNES, I
don't know, but I VERY highly doubt it was made on Linux. If you can
show me some SOURCE of your info, aside from your own docs, I'd love to
see them.  PSX, made on PC's (IBM) with a development board that
connects a special Development  Playstation to the PC. Do NOT know about
the N64, but I also doubt it was made on a Linux machine. Crusin USA,
Arcade version. Made with a UNIX varient. The OS exists on the arcade
unit. (I know this for a fact, saw one startup, goes through UN*X
startup scripts.)

To the list admin:

	Please admin the list. The reply based admin is NOT WORKING. Try a
moderated list, try adopting a NO OFF TOPIC policy. The list will get
cut down in size... Some useful things are posted, but not much anymore.

To Grant:

	You act more like an sterotypical AOL user than the Firepower5 and
KrazyJolt. You respond right off with a flame, w/o contributing anything
useful. As in: "You suck, your idea is diffrent than mine, and you must
be wrong. I can't back my point up with sources, but YOUR WRONG. I'm
never wrong." type messages. Please to not make fun of AOL users if you
act more like one then they are. (My history, so you can't flame me
about this: 1992, Started on Internet with Plogidy, then moved to Iglou
in 1995 (IIRC, the start date on Iglou is sketcy, but I've only used
Prodigy and Iglou.)

Sorry if this sounds like a flame, I do NOT mean it to be. I'm saying
what I see, and I hope not to anger anyone with this post, esp. the
Admin. I'd like to see this list get some more on-topic posts, I like
keeping up on the info about the internal workings of the TI-calcs.

Adam