Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

Okay, first off, where's the amazing "off topic mailing list" that was going to
be set up?
Next, Grant is wrong.  On a stock 386 (Read <= 25MHz), emulation is not
possible at full speed.  NESA, NESticle, Nofrendo, etc, will not do it.  Track
down yoshi (used to run parodius.net, maybe it's back up?), he'll set you
straight, seeing as he probably knows more about the NES than any of us know
about posting bullshit information.
Now, if you want to to a full binary translation, taking into account the PPU,
the 6502, and whatever MMC was used in the cartridge itself, be my guest.  It's
the only way that a standard 386 will do that kind of work at top speed.  Now,
a 486SLC/Blue Lightning and so on, which is a 386sx with L1 cache and usually
higher clock frequencies CAN do the emulation beautifully, but those CPUs are
generally classed as 486s, even though they're not.

"Grant is wrong"

And for the love of god, don't use blanket phrases like "Linux" when you mean
BSD/IRIX/Solaris/AIX and so on.  Specify properly, or use the right blanket
phrase, "Unix Variant," or, if not, then UNIX.
It's really not thast difficult to be right all the time, you just have to pay
attention to what you say/send before you say/send it.

CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >I could not imagine writing even a decent 8bit NES game on a 386
> >(top-of-the-line at that time in PC land).
>
> An 8bit NES game can be completely an off a 386.  full emulation.  "Adam is
> wrong."
>
> -The FIRST public domain portable hardware mp3 player-
> http://gussie.alaska.net

Follow-Ups: References: