Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

> IF the game wasn't made under linux, its probably cheep!  : )  99% of games
> were written for linux and then ported to the application since linux is
> such a great OS.

Um, this is not true. Many games are writen on DOS/Win95. (Win95 games,
the majority of currently made games, are created on Win95 ONLY. No
other OS has the required libs. NOTE: GCC for DOS aka DJGPP,  or
Cygnus-32's GPP port, do have the libs, but are Win/DOS native.) UN*X
computers are some of the most powerful systems, SGI for example uses
IRIX, a UN*X OS. :) If you can provide #'s to BACK UP what you said, I'd
love to see them.

>Most SNES and GENESIS games were written for linux first.

I'd love to see some #'s backing this up too. I disagree, most are made
on IBM's with an expansion board adding a link to a prototype machine.
(AKA, Ancient Macs. ;) Nintendo (original sys) were made on Mac's
because their proc was basically the same proc the Nintendo uses. :) )

> Quake I/II is available for linux.  So are other good games...

Yeah, Quake and Quake II were made on WinNT machines, IIRC. Doom was
made with the now defunct NeXT computers. Crack.Com exclusively makes
for Linux, but they are currently out of cash. :( So, any other games
you'd like to know the origin of? ;)

Adam

Follow-Ups: References: