Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:

> >NetBSD might be
> >the only thing that will run on an iMac, though, thanks to that USB deal...

Linux has no problems with USB.  In fact, I believe its currently the only
free OS that can use a console with a USB keyboard.

> LinuxPPC and MKLinux have already gotten the Mach_kernal working.  Its NOT
> the USB thats holding them up.  its the firmware, which is zero.  The
> firmware is loaded every time you boot.  The imac doesn't have that, making
> it one of the first macs that will run NT 5.
                                     ^^^^^^^^
Now THAT is an interesting statement.  Especially since NT 5 will not
support plaforms other than Alpha and ia32/64 (Intel).  PPC support was
dropped as of NT4.

Tell me, is retrofiting an Alpha 800Mhz 21264 into an iMac your next
project?  (After the 21264 is released, of course.)

> IF the game wasn't made under linux, its probably cheep!  : )  99% of games
> were written for linux and then ported to the application since linux is
> such a great OS.  Most SNES and GENESIS games were written for linux first.

Correction: they were written for a UNIX varient first.  You seem to have
troubles making the distiction between Linux and UNIX.

Most games for the game consoles in general (including those for NES,
SNES, NES64, etc) were written on SGI Indy's, Indigo's and Octane's
running IRIX (SGI's UNIX-based atrocity).

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982